Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Positioning for the Future

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. Ecclesiastes 9:11 KJV


Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Hebrews 12:1


Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. I Corinthians 9:24


No doubt you are familiar with these three scriptures and with the idea that living for God is a lot like a race.  It's more about endurance than speed.  It can done as a team or alone if necessary.  If you get too focused on your surroundings then you're in trouble. Those running against you can not effect your results nearly as much as your own personal dedication and endurance. And a lot of times, it feels like your just going in circles.  Living for God is a lot like running a race.


I've preached about this being a relay race and have received my fare share of amens because of it.  However, I feel like sometimes we miss the point and the position of the person we are suppose to be handing the baton too. 


Let me just get right to it, if we adults are currently running with the baton and are suppose to be handing it off to the next generation then the next generation is suppose to be in front of us, not behind us.


Too many times we allow our young people to feel like they are being left behind instead of being pushed ahead.  


My eyes are not on the finish line.  I'm sorry, they aren't.  My eyes are fixed on the next runner.  That's not who I'm running for but it's who I'm running towards.  I can't let my own ambition and goals blur my vision.  


There has got to be a point in our lives when we stop worrying about being the next camp speaker, power soloist, or missionary and start worrying about finding the next camp speaker, power soloist, or missionary.


As a youth pastor, I am a talent scout.  I'm looking for the next big thing.  I'm trying to find ways to get myself out of the picture.  It's my job, and I think the job of every adult, to know when to run and when to pass the baton.  I know I'm only 31, and I'm not saying I'm riding off into the sunset just yet.  However, there is a generation ahead of me that is getting ready to run.  


How dare I pass them by and not give them a chance.  How dare I pass them by and not pass them the baton.  How dare I leave them standing with nothing to run for. 


If the baton isn't in their hands, what do they have to run for? 


In a relay race the place where one runner hands off the baton to the next is called "the exchange zone".  This is the hardest part to navigate.  It's that brief period where we are both running.  One is finishing his part and another is starting.  All of the sudden, the person who has been holding the baton must pass it on to the next.  It's not an easy exchange but it's necessary.


Bottom line: If we fail to hand off the baton, we run the risk of leaving a generation behind.  If that happens, nobody wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment